How about having a dessert for breakfast? Bread and Butter pudding makes for a comforting breakfast, brunch or a perfect end to a cosy family meal. A slightly different take on the British classic pudding, this recipe dresses up good old jam-butter sandwiches with a flavourful custard. Simple and scrumptious, this is one of the best ways to use up stale bread.
Fresh cow milk from Sarda Farms that is used in this recipe, is delivered to you within hours of milking. The milk is preservative free ensuring that its flavour and natural goodness remains intact.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
2. Grease a 7x7 inch baking dish with little butter.
3. Butter the bread slices and spread jam on half of them.
4. Cover each jam slice with a plain slice to make a sandwich.
5. Cut each jam sandwich diagonally into triangles.
6. Arrange the sandwich triangles in the baking dish cut side down, at an angle. (This ensures a crusty pudding top. If you do not want a crusty top, place the sandwiches horizontally, along the base of the baking dish so that they soak fully in the custard.)
7. Spread the raisins over the bread sandwiches.
8. Whisk together milk, cream, sugar, eggs, nutmeg powder and vanilla extract.
9. Pour this mixture over the bread sandwiches.
Serving Size 3-4